Wednesday, January 27, 2010

It's a long way to the top

Week 15: 1/18/10 - 1/24/10 (3 weeks remain)

Monday: Off day

Tuesday: 8 miles, easy.

Wednesday: 10 miles, general aerobic

Thursday : 15 miles, medium-long. Ran around the Shoal Creek Trail for 12 miles, then finished up with a 3 mile out-and-back to the UT math department.

Friday: 8 miles, general aerobic.

Saturday: 5 miles, recovery.

Sunday: 20 miles, long run. Started out the first two miles at a moderate jog, then settled into comfortable 6:15 - 6:30 miles for the next 15 or so. Pretty tired for the last 3-4 miles, but kept fairly consistent pace. Overall, I was pretty pleased with this run, as it suggests that I'm finally getting into some kind of shape for the actual race itself, especially considering the fact I started the workout with what I felt were pretty dead legs.

Total weekly mileage: 66.

This week was the peak training week for my schedule, so it's all downhill from here - next week I start to ease off a bit as I enter the taper leading up to race day. I'm feeling pretty beat up this week from the higher mileage and longer running I've been doing over the past few weeks, but I'm feeling pretty good about my overall race preparation as a result of Sunday's long run. I'll be interested to see what I can do on the 14th with a pair of fresh legs.

No comments: