Monday, January 24, 2011

Recovery Week; or, Irresponsibility Redux

Week 6: 1/17/11 - 1/23/11 (12 weeks remain)

Welp, it's a good thing the schedule has this week listed as a recovery week, because the mileage this week was actually pretty lacking.

Monday: Off day

Tuesday: Snowed in - ran 8 miles on the treadmill.

Wednesday/Thursday: Busy in the lab trying to take over the wor- er, building robots for the good of all mankind.

Friday: So today we left for the Graduate Student Council Ski Trip. I woke up this morning with grandiose plans to put in 15 miles (although I was pretty lax about the training this week, I still wanted to be sure that I got in the long run, as it's the most important run of the week). Unfortunately, after I awoke this morning and sprang out of bed like the highly motivated champion that I am, I glanced out my window to discover that ZOMG IT'S SNOWING AGAIN! So upon realizing that this was my last chance to put in a good workout for the week, I nutted up and decided that I was going to break my cardinal rule of marathon training... and run on the goddamn treadmill. I ended up spending nearly 2 hours on the treadmill, and it was everything I thought it would be - long, boring, and horrible. WORST. WORKOUT. EVER. On the other hand, at least I got my long run for the week in.

Saturday/Sunday: ZOMG SKIING! Went up to Sunday River in Maine for three days of skiing with MIT's GSC, and it was kickass! I continue to be astounded with New England's natural beauty :-).




In other news, Maine is f*&$ing cold: the last day we were there it dropped to -12 [edit: -32 at the top, with windchill(!)], and I don't think it got up beyond 10 or so the entire time I was there. When I stepped outside my cabin, I could actually feeling the moisture in my breath freezing to my beard in real-time. Apparently Boston dropped down around zero over the weekend as well, so I guess things were tough all over New England.

Fortunately, the forecast for the next several days calls for temperatures between 30 and 40 degrees back here in Boston, which will feel positively tropical by comparison. Perfect weather for putting some work in :-).

Total weekly mileage: 23 <--About that...

1 comment:

Megumi said...

Cupcake, I moronically took a nap during the one sunny hour of the day and had to run in the torrential downpour again... thought of you!

I'm typically back in beantown around the holidays, but I do tend to serendipitously show up during the spring or summer on occasion too. Will definitely let you know the next time I do.

You seen this thing?

http://bostonrunner.com/charles.htm

The 17.1 mile loop is a fun long run! I live about 1 mile uphill from the non science museum terminus.