Monday, March 28, 2011

Commence Taper!

Week 16: 3/28/11 - 4/3/11 (2 weeks remain)

So last week sucked, but fortunately, it seems to have been effective in allowing me to heal up, for the most part. Now that I'm aware of the problem, I'll be taking strong proactive measures in the future, and now that the weather's also improving, hopefully we can avoid any unfortunate health crises in the future. Time to get back in the game!

Monday: Off day. Hit the weight room. (I've been weightlifting semi-seriously since November, in anticipation of possibly trying my hand at a triathlon sometime after the marathon. Turns out I can now rep my body weight - not a big deal for actual weightlifters, but a notable achievement for a scrawny marathon runner who's really never had any upper body strength to speak of previously. W00t!)

Tuesday: 7 miles, general aerobic. Actually went a little faster than I had planned/expected (glad to be back in the game!)

Wednesday: 12 miles, general aerobic. Legs a little stiff today - probably a combination of having taken a week off and having gone perhaps a bit too hard yesterday. Otherwise unremarkable.

Thursday: Super busy - didn't get out to run today.

Friday: 5 miles, recovery day.

Saturday: Also super busy - likewise didn't get out to run (although today was supposed to be another recovery day, this week being part of the taper and all).

Sunday: 16 miles, final long run of the season - everything else between now and The Big Day is <= 13 miles. Ran the Fresh Pond + Commonwealth Ave/Boston Common loops. Took the first 10 miles or so around Fresh Pond pretty quickly, partially just to check out how my legs were feeling after having taken the previous week off. The quicker pace felt pretty good, but I ended up a little more fatigued at the end of the run than I had expected to. It's hard for me to determine whether that was due to having simply gone a bit too fast in the first 10 miles, lingering effects from missing most of last week, or the fact that I haven't gone to bed before 4AM in the previous 3 days...

Total weekly mileage: 40

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Go get 'em, Rosen! The same goes for Gus, too.

Megumi said...

Also, hurry up and post the next installment already!