Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Break's over, back to the war!

So once again, it's been a while since I've updated the blag, so I figured I'd kick off the next flurry of posts with a quick recap of what I've been up to since April.

After the Boston Marathon, I took a couple of weeks off to recover/finish up the term, and then started trying to put together some plans for the summer. As part of this, I decided on a whim to check out the San Francisco Marathon website, since I'd always wanted to run it (San Francisco is really a beautiful city, and I have a lot of college buddies in NorCal whom I've not seen for a couple of years). It turned out that my time in the Boston Marathon qualified me for "sub-seeded" athlete status, meaning that they'd let me line up at the front on race day and knock about 40% off the registration fee. Also, apparently Sophia Bush is going to be running to fundraise for charity, so there's that, too :-P. Anyway, it seemed like a pretty sweet deal, so I signed up for it.

About the same time, another friend from college who's also here with me suggested that we both go on a trip to Israel that the MIT and Harvard Hillel groups were organizing for late May/early June. This also seemed like a pretty sweet deal, so I jumped at the chance. The trip was great, and I was able to get back into Boston just in time (read: with six hours to spare) to catch another flight back to Los Angeles for five days to see my sister's graduation from UCLA. Altogether, it was a pretty crazy three weeks, but definitely a lot of fun.

So the summer has been pretty damn awesome so far. However, the San Francisco Marathon is on July 31, and the Boston Marathon was on April 18, which (allowing for a two-week recovery) only leaves about 12 weeks of training for SF. Ordinarily, this wouldn't be a huge problem: I customarily train on an 18-week schedule, but I also have an accelerated 12-week schedule that I'm comfortable using. However, the first two weeks of this schedule coincided with the last two weeks of the term at MIT, and the next three weeks coincided with my travel to Jewistan and LA, so essentially no training was done over this five-week period (I think I ran a total of two times, about five miles each). The upshot of this, of course, is that I'm now reduced from an 18-week training schedule to effectively a 7-week training schedule.

Of course, nothing could possibly go wrong :-P.

No comments: