Thursday, July 12, 2007

Initialization...

So at Ian and Matt's suggestion, I've created a blog to track my training over the summer (I was vigorously assured that "all the cool kids are doing it").

As for the actual running thus far, I'd been working out since the end of the school year regularly, and since I was living at home at the time, I was eating better and sleeping better, and feeling pretty good about the whole running/fitness/not-sucking-at-life thing. And then I went to Atlanta for that robotics contest...

...and judging by my performance this afternoon (my first run since I got back last night), I kinda suck again now. I ran about 7 miles down by the beach today, and my legs were pretty unhappy about it. Goddamn it :-(. I guess we'll just have to see how tomorrow goes.

Total miles: 7

Also, I had a couple of questions regarding workout habits:

1. How have people been handling balancing work/research and running? It seems like they both take a fair amount of time/effort to do properly...

2. This problem might be unique to me, but I seem to have a hard time staying focused when I'm working out; my mind kinda wanders all over the place because I start getting bored from just running (this usually happens about 3-4 miles in). What do people do to keep their minds occupied when they're working out?

3. What is the sound of one hand clapping?

1 comment:

Garrett said...

Well I am at home right now so I basically sleep 13 hours a day, run for 2 and a half, and surf the caltech jock blogs the rest of the time. When I was at tech, I was still managing 4 hour bike rides every afternoon. I think you just have to make a routine. Tell your self. Okay I get up at 9, work until 5, go for a run at 5:30 and be done in time for dinner at 7:30 or something. Luckily running is a pretty time efficient workout, unlike things like cycling. Just make sure you plan around the running and research will fill in all the idle time.

About the 'mind wandering', aka your astounding propensity to get lost on runs, normally I drift off into thinking I'm fast and pulling away from the pack, or about hot runner chicks, or thinking I'm fast, but in some other context, etc. etc. One time I tried to think about math and my brain hurt so I stopped.